Study visa now in Malta – **UPDATE**

The following information was gathered after attending an information session organised by the Malta ELT Council in April 2018.

  • Applications for work licences need to be according to the Labour Market Consideration.
  • The employer has to try first to find an EU national and check that the employee is a student who is eligible to work.
  • Low-skilled workers such as waiters/cleaners must have a declaration of suitability by the employer
  • The work license is issued for the duration of the validity of visa. On the licence, there will be the start/end date of employment, employee’s name, job status and name of employer.
  • The licence is only valid for the work and company that it has been issued for.
  • Students may work for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • First the student needs to find a job and then then they can apply for work licence.
  • The wait for the processing of employment license is anything from 4 – 6 weeks.
  • This means that students can only start working from Week 13 (after their extension visa has been given).
  • Any Third Country National whose visa was issued by an Embassy or Consulate (e.g.Turkish) can apply for the work licence as soon as they arrive in Malta. However, they can only start working in week 13.
  • The work licence is given according to the weeks of study. If the visa is revoked the work licence is revoked. The main purpose is always to study. Students need to have a minimum of 75% attendance. Any students who are sick need to provide the school with a medical certificate.
  • The validity of the licence is issued for a maximum of 1 year. The EUR 230 fee covers 1 year, so if a student wants to renew their course/visa they can renew their work licence.
  • Schools can offer English courses but it is up to the student to find a job and submit the work licence application endorsed by the employer.
  • The employer is responsible for the students working.
  • Students who are here on unpaid internships can come with a student visa, but can only observe duties! Other internshops have to complete the Internship Notification Form and Jobsplus need to be notified.
  • Students have to be 16+ to be able to work.
  • Students are not able to use their NI contributions, so still have to have their private health insurance.
  • Third Country Nationals in Malta with a residence permit (not blue paper) are entitled to take up employment for a maximum of 10 hours per week.
  • Students from Thailand or Vietnam can get their visas from the Maltese Embassy in Beijing or The Embassy of Austria in ThailandHigh Risk are students from Nepal and Bangladesh – high refusal rate.

Further information can be obtained from Jobsplus employment